Director of Special Education
KIPP New Jersey is looking for a Director of Special Education to support the development of our Camden special education vision that supports our students and staff through comprehensive programming.
Here’s what you need to know:
The Director of Special Education will work in collaboration with the Managing Director of Special Education, campus-based special education leadership, social workers, and related service providers to ensure that all of our special education teachers are implementing high leverage instruction, that all of our students are receiving high-quality support that meets their needs, and that we operate in full compliance with state and local regulations governing special education.
Being part of our team gives you lots of opportunities to grow, but with great power also comes great responsibility. Here are some of the primary responsibilities associated with this role:
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
Ensure Academic Progress
Support IEP Process
- Ensure Special Education staff abide by IDEA and local regulations
- Drive the vision for special education and ESL services at KNJ
- Oversee academic, compliance and clinical tracking systems maintained by the Assistant Principal of Special Education (student PLAAFPs, grades, cognitive potential, standardized test scores, and testing accommodations)
- Coach Assistant Principals of Special Education
- Work with the Assistant Principals of Special Education to identify and provide / secure relevant professional development and training for special education and general education staff in the areas of special education and ESL instruction
- Monitor data reported by Compliance Manager, Social Workers, and Special Education APs
- Monitor service delivery in In-Class Support classrooms (ICS) and resource settings
- Monitor service delivery in substantially separate classrooms (self-contained)
- Meet with school leadership teams regularly set and monitor goals by campus
- Updates school leadership teams quarterly (or on a more frequent basis) on progress towards campus goals
- Monitor performance of and supports Special Education APs, teachers/case managers and related service providers
- Promote integrated service delivery in inclusion classes and resource settings
- Stay abreast of best practices
- Develop strategies to enhance special education performance on standardized tests
Support the Camden Region
- Support APs of Special Education and/or Chairs in complex case analysis
- Ensure IEPs are standards based, relevant for the individual student and complete
- Receive and review quarterly reports from APs of Special Education on status of outstanding evaluations, attendance, and discipline
Must Haves (i.e. what you need to rock this role)
- Manage a Camden regional budget that supports school based and regional special education initiatives
- Collaborate with finance teams to determine funding for special education
- Collaborate with Human Assets to ensure all special education teachers and providers are properly certified and licensed
Nice to Haves
- At least 4 years of experience as a special education teacher
- At least 2 years of experience in a leadership role (department chair, grade level team person, dean, or assistant principal)
- At least 2 years of experience coaching special education teachers
- At least 2 years of experience chairing IEP meetings
- Has received satisfactory ratings on all teacher/administrator evaluations the last 4 years
- A master’s degree in education (preference is given to applicants with a special education concentration)
- Experience serving students from linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Experience in a high-performing district or charter environment
Need more reasons to work here?
In addition to a competitive salary, KIPP NJ offers a comprehensive benefits plan, a subsidized wireless plan through Verizon, an EZ Pass for teammates commuting from Philadelphia, and a laptop. And 100% of KIPP New Jersey employees agree we have the best kids in the nation. So, there’s that.
About KIPP New Jersey
KIPP New Jersey is part of the nationally recognized “Knowledge Is Power Program” network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools dedicated to preparing students in under-served communities for success in college and in life. In 2002, KIPP New Jersey first opened its doors in Newark’s South Ward as a single class of 80 fifth graders and has since grown to serve over 3,700 students in grades K-12 in Newark and Camden. More than 88% of KIPP New Jersey students currently qualify for free or reduced meals.
In the next few years, KIPP New Jersey will have ten schools in Newark and five in Camden providing world-class education to over 7,300 students. By offering outstanding educators with strong bonds to the families we serve, more time in school learning, services that support a variety of student needs and a culture focused on achievement, our students are on the path to and through college proving that demographics don’t define destiny. Visit www.kippnj.org to learn more.
KIPP new jersey is an equal opportunity employer