We’re growing! We are looking for an experienced principal interested in expanding her/his reach in the city of Newark.
Here’s what you need to know:
We’re building our successor pipeline and are looking for Principal candidates to join us! Our high schools need an awe-inspiring leader who would welcome the opportunity to have a long runway (ideally a year) to build strong relationships with students, teachers, and the community before officially taking the reins.
Our Principals are the primary instructional and culture leaders in the building and, as such, are responsible for driving outcomes for students through Assistant Principals, Grade Level Chairs, Department Chairs, Deans, and teachers. An ideal Principal for this role has multiple years of documented success in a high school environment or turnaround assignment at any grade level and can demonstrate a track record of driving student achievement results, building leadership capacity, and developing instructional leaders through pedagogical practices. Primary responsibilities include setting and communicating a strategic vision and driving toward that vision through the coaching of assistant principals, analysis of instructional data, planning and execution of professional development, and improvement of quality content delivery across the school. Most importantly, they love students and families, teachers, and the community they serve.
Nice To Haves
- Student Focus: Belief that all students, regardless of background, have the ability to go to and through college; demonstrated commitment to the school’s unique community
- Achievement Orientation: Demonstrated student achievement results in own classroom and from teachers that he/she manages
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated ability to create inclusive environments that honors and supports a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives
- Instructional Leadership: Adept at data analysis and strong content knowledge; ability to extract meaningful insights and actions from data
- High Expectations: Sets and upholds high expectations for students academically and behaviorally
- Proven record of achievement of student outcomes in a leadership capacity for at least 4 years with at least 2 of those years in a school leader/principal role.
- Experience coaching and managing others and/or leading a team to results
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Experience at a former charter or KIPP school
- People Leadership & Performance Management:
- Work with members of APs grade span to support APs in setting individual goals based on school wide goals and student achievement data;
- Manage the performance of teachers through APs to get outcomes for kids through observation/feedback and professional development;
- Conduct weekly meetings with each direct report on instructional strategies, content, feedback based on observations and holding them accountable to goals;
- Conduct regular classroom observations of members of teacher cohort
- Team Leadership: Build strong teams characterized by trust, investment in goals, and ownership
- Talent Development: Identify high potential talent and develop accordingly, manage performance with the support of the school leader, manage the growth and capacity building of next-ready leaders (GLCs, Department Chairs, and high-potential teachers)
- Leadership Development: Develop APs, GLCs and next-ready teacher leaders intentionally in order to ensure strong pipelines.
- Lead professional development for Assistant Principals, GLCs/DCs on teacher development, and lead professional development for teachers on highest leverage strategies for academic systems and effective lesson execution
- Co-facilitate academic progress monitoring meetings at the school, through the on-going analysis of student achievement data; collaborate with Assistant Principals and GLCs/DCs to adjust strategy, determine teacher needs.
Compensation & Benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, KIPP NJ offers a full comprehensive benefits plan, including health care, retirement, an optional subsidized wireless plan through Verizon, a school laptop and transportation benefits for TEAMmates commuting into New Jersey from the New York City area.
About KIPP New Jersey
KIPP New Jersey schools are part of the nationally recognized “Knowledge Is Power Program” non-profit network of college-preparatory, public charter schools educating elementary, middle, and high school students. In 2002, KIPP New Jersey first opened its doors in Newark’s South Ward as a single class of 80 fifth graders and has since grown to teach over 5,100 students in grades K-12 in Newark and Camden. 92% of KIPP New Jersey students currently qualify for free or reduced-price meals. Today, we have grown to 16 (K-12) schools throughout Newark and Camden, NJ. Learn more about KIPP here.
KIPP New Jersey/KIPP Miami is an equal opportunity employer.